Stratfield Turgis & Hartley Wespall Cricket Club

Stratfield Turgis & Hartley Wespall Cricket Club - Historical chronicle

       re: 1811 - 1860 'THE OPENING OVERS'

1861 - 1913

            1914 - 1918 FIRST WORLD WAR
            1919 - 1938
            1939 - 1945 SECOND WORLD WAR
            1946 - 1960
            1961 - 1980
            1981 - 1990
            1991 - 2000
            2001 - 2010


THE CRICKET CLUB – help record an historic chronicle 


STRATFIELD TURGIS is a village steeped in history, with records dating back to the Doomsday Book. It contains a wealth of historic and listed buildings - from quaint thatched cottages to churches and large houses

 The parish of Stratfield Turgis derives from the Turgis family, who held the manor of the de Ports and St. Johns from as early as 1270 and comprises the hamlets of Spanish Green and Turgis Green, together with Stratfield Turgis itself and surrounding, outlying farms. It is part of the Loddon and Eversley Heritage Area

The village has close connections with the descendants of the Duke of Wellington, whose seat is at neighbouring Stratfield Saye. On the banks of the River Loddon is a fishery which dates back to the sixteenth or seventeenth century

Stratfield Turgis and Hartley Wespall Cricket Club is but a microcosm of the huge worldwide sporting cricket fraternity - a sport that has sprung from humble origins in the 17th century

 These origins are very much shrouded in mystery - even the club’s emblem bearing 1811 as the founding date lacks hard substantiation.  This is no different from cricket history in general - in that, while plenty of references can be found to early cricketing events, they are very often anecdotal 

 If only the much-maligned computer had been active in those early days.  Imagine all those scorecards and cricketing titbits from two and three centuries ago being instantly ready for cut and paste into accounts such as this - making trips to Winchester Records Office and other outposts largely unnecessary

 A positive however, is that we do now live in an IT age - whereby additions and revisions to chronicles can be made with ease.  This history is an attempt to piece together available facts and notes regarding the cricket club and should be read as a mobile and flexible account. It is written as far as possible in chronological, diary-like order and is well able to accommodate the huge missing masses of information covering many decades - which we hope will flood in

 So, the message is …to all those readers turning out a grandparents' loft, through to emptiers of musty cricket kitbags (ugggh) - The club would be delighted to hear your input

 This information could be: related events in the neighbourhood, memories and records of games past, individual performances, pictures - in fact, all the topics that enable cricketers to talk long into the night

 *Acknowledgment is due to the Stratfield Parish Meeting for providing cricket-related extracts from its minutes

 pre:1811 - 1860 'THE OPENING OVERS'

 Much had happened in the cricket world previous to 1811

 1700 - Bats were curved rather like hockey sticks and were straightened only on the advent of new bowling actions

1709 -
First recorded game between two counties (Kent and Surrey)

- Stumps became 22 inches in height and only 6 inches in width

1751 - Prince of Wales died after a blow to his chest from a cricket ball

1774 - A new bat width of 4¼ inches was laid down after an England player attempted to use a bat wider than the stumps. (Not seriously challenged until in 1979 Dennis Lillee attempted to use an aluminium bat in Perth)


1776 - A third stump added after 'Lumpy Stevens' consistently passed his deliveries through the two stumps without dislodging the bail

1786 - Two bails first mentioned in the Laws of the Game


1787 - Marylebone Cricket Club formed. First match played at Lords. (One-day Middlesex v Essex)


1796 - Hambledon Cricket Club dissolved


Turgis Green Recreation Ground was a tithe award in the early 1800s


1806 - First Gentlemen v Players match

1811 - First recorded women's cricket match Hampshire v Surrey, a year which marked the start of nearly two centuries of cricket at Turgis Green 

 We can conjure up visions of young village men and boys, returning early from the Peninsular Wars in Spain and Portugal, exchanging their smoothbore muskets for the sculptured piece of willow, which in those days passed as a cricket bat. Thoughts were turned to rival events at Broadhalfpenny Down (Hambledon) - in what were then distant parts of Hampshire


1814 - Lords’ ground was moved by Thomas Lord, to its present position in St Johns Wood


1815 - Napoleon began his second innings - 'volunteers' were off again to events culminating at Waterloo


1817 - Duke of Wellington acquired Stratfield Saye House in Berkshire in 1817

1827 - Wides first introduced into scorebooks (before this they were recorded as byes)

1830 - No-balls first recorded

1841 - Duke of Wellington commanded every barracks should have a cricket ground


1842 - The Hon Frank Ponsonby scored nine runs from one hit for the MCC v Cambridge University (fielding standards ghave improved since this time)

1848 -
Leg byes introduced

1850 - John Wisden (Founder of the Almanack) became the first player to take all ten wickets bowled. (North v South at Lords) 

1858 - Heathfield Stephenson (All-England) was presented with a hat for taking three wickets with successive deliveries versus Hallam and Staveley - the first instance of such a presentation and obviously the origin of the 'hat trick'

1860 - Popping crease was set at 46inches from the target, replacing the previous 45½ inches (the length of an English Agincourt arrow)


1861 - 1913

1862 - First overseas tour by England to Canada

1863 - Hampshire County Cricket Club founded


1864 - Wisden's Almanac first published and over-arm bowling made legal. . It was competition to Lillywhite's The Guide to Cricketers. The 112-page, first edition contained among many other details, Civil War battle dates, an account of the trial of Charles 1 and the rules of quoiting


1866 - The Recreation Ground was subject of an enclosure award. At the time the parish was set up there were trustees for the recreation ground charitable trust (it seems to have been wound up in 1930) and two overseers appointed and paid by the Parish Meeting managed the ground. They accepted tenders for the feed of the recreation ground, by which it is supposed they mean cattle grazed on it with access to the pond.   Later on only sheep were allowed. Rates and taxes were paid on it. Boar Mead, Broadford Mead, Goodyers Green, Parsonage Green, Silk Meadow, Spanish Green, Stiffs Green, and Turgis Green were inclosed in 1866 by the authority of the General Inclosure Acts.  (See entry under 1972)


1874 - W. G. Grace became the first player to complete the double (100 wickets and 1000 runs) in a first-class season


1877 - First international Test match v Australia at Melbourne

1880 - First home international Test match v Australia at the Oval


1882 - A. N. Hornby became the first player to captain England at rugby and cricket

Australia beat England for the first time in England, sparking a message in the Times mentioning the Ashes

1884 -
First Test Match at Lords


1889 - Four-ball over lengthened to 5-ball and teams allowed to declare an innings


1890 - First County Championship match (Gloucester v Yorkshire)

1896 - Parish Meeting  (26th September) - Unanimously resolved that Messrs North and Nurden be empowered to erect a stile on the Recreation Ground, repair the fences, paint the new gates with two coats of paint and to purchase four forms for the Ground


1898 - Parish Meeting (12th December) - Unanimously resolved to plant oak, chestnut and lime on the recreation ground

1899 - W. G. Grace made his last Test appearance v Australia

1900 - Five-ball over lengthened to six-balls

In the Paris Olympics cricket was included for the only time. England won and remain current Olympic champions 


1903 - The Rev. Edge writes ‘It rained continuously from 10am on June 13 until midnight on June 15. Three inches of rain recorded ‘. Certainly no play that weekend!


1904 - Earth tremor reportedly ‘shook’ Turgis Green


1905 - Parish Meeting (28th March) - Proposed (Mr Taylor and Mr Nurden) that RR Isaac (Chairman) should see Messrs Smith and Manser to get some information on what a shed 20ft long and 12 foot wide would cost



1907 - Parish Meeting (21st March) - The plan drawn by Mr Harris for the new pavilion was approved by the meeting.  It was put to the meeting by J Taylor, seconded H Curtis that Mr Harris’s tender should be accepted to put up the Pavilion according to the plan specified including cost of preparing the plan for £29.10s


1908 - Parish Meeting (31st March) - Mr Taylor proposed and Mr Nurden seconded that the pavilion be insured in the sum of £50

R. E. Foster captained England at soccer and cricket
Don Bradman born (later to be a vice-president of the Club)


1910 - Parish Meeting (1st April) - Proposed Pearman, Nurden ‘that wire netting should be put round the eaves of the pavilion all present agreed that it should be done.

(The pavilion was evidently thatched, hence the wire netting to keep out birds)


1912 - Parish Meeting (28th March) -  Mr Nurden and Mr Phillips to ‘ask Smith to look at repairs at the pavilion, also gate post at entrance to Recreation Ground, also rails adjoining the same’


1914 - 1918 (inc First World War)


1914 - Surrey won a shortened County cricket championship


1915 - Parish Meeting (26th March) - £5 -7s-6d received from Mr Pearman as rent of Recreation Ground less 7/10 rates and 2/10 taxes. The balance £ 4-16-10d also allowed 2/6 fire insurance which leaves a balance for the year of £4-14-4d


Death of Dr W.G. Grace aged 92


1917 - Parish Meeting (30th March) - Mr Nurden to be left to see to repairs and painting of the pavilion


1919 - 1938


1919 - First first-class batsman to be timed out was H. J. Heygate (after spending the War in trenches he was crippled with rheumatism)

1920 - Parish Meeting (25th March) - A new gatepost was ordered and the pavilion thatched and the ground rolled.

1921 - Parish Meeting (29th March) - The ground chained harrowed and rolled


1923 - Parish Meeting (28th March) - It was decided to procure 3 loads of gravel for the main entrance of the Recreation Ground


1924 - Parish Meeting (April) - Rates 9/4d taxes 7/10d Gravel and cartage £1- 1/10d

Receipts for feed  £3.0.0

Balance handed to treasurer £1-1-0

The rector was asked to write to the secretary of the Board of Agriculture to ask what they could spend the money on.  It was decided that three more seats be provided for the Recreation Ground
Alec Douglas-Hume made the first of his ten first-class appearances for Middlesex. He is the only Prime Minister to have played first-class cricket


1925 - Paris Meeting (30th March) - The little entrance gate (next to the Red Lion) was in need of repair and also the pavilion needed some little attention for the woodwork. It was decide to ask Mr Faircloth to do what was necessary


1926 - Parish Meeting (26th March) Expenditure:

            Repairs for pavilion   15/-

            Fire insurance            5/6d

Entrance gate: The large gate opposite Wheelers Farm was past repair. It was resolved to ask Mr North if the Estate would provide a new one at cost price. If so, Mr Faircloth Jr. be asked to hang it. If the Estate could not fall in with the proposal, resolved to obtain tenders from Mr Faircloth, Mr Greig and Mr Mansor

The pavilion: the question of thatching the pavilion was left over for the present on the score of expense


1926 - Parish Meeting (6th Sept) - A special Parish Meeting was held in the Institute. The Rector was in the Chair

Present: TM Goring, JD Pearman, F Phillips, J Payne and J Dance on behalf of the Cricket Club. Mr Goring proposed that the tender for the re-roofing of the pavilion sent in by Mr Allen for £12-10s be accepted. Carried unanimously. £7-0-0 was voted from the funds of the Parish towards the cost. Mr Dance on behalf of the Cricket club offered £4-0-0 and it was resolved to get up a “whist drive” or “concert” to raise funds for the balance, this, the Cricket Club agreed to do

Jack Hobbs became the first batsman to score 4000 runs in Test Cricket

1928 - Parish Meeting (26th March) - It was decided to make a grant of £1-0-0 towards providing paint for the outside decoration of the pavilion, it being understood that the work was to be carried out by the members of the cricket club. There was to be 2 undercoats, 1 finishing coat, the old paint to be scraped off

West Indies played their first Test Match (v England at Lords)

Don Bradman played his first Test match v England

- Parish Meeting (31st March) - Pavilion: Proposed that the pavilion be kept open during the months when summer time is in operation.

Seats: Proposed that 4 seats be left out on the Recreation Ground and that battens be made to make them more secure.

Sunday games: Resolved that no charabanc parties be allowed to use the Recreation Ground for games on a Sunday.


1930 - Parish Meeting (1st May) - The question of the swings was brought up and it was proposed ‘that the swings be erected 100 yards from the Red Lion.’ (known locally as ‘The Cat’ now Jekyll & Hyde).

Opening in summer months of pavilion: It was determined that 3 members of the Parish Meeting and 3 representatives of the Cricket Club with the addition of the Chairman should draw up rules for the use of the pavilion and refer back to the AGM.


1931 - Parish Meeting (12th Nov) - ‘That improvements to the sanitary arrangements outside the pavilion should be made’. The question of fixed seats and a see-saw for the children was left to the Annual Meeting


1932 - Parish Meeting (29th March) - It was resolved that the ‘Recreation Ground should be kept open as a recreation ground, that the feed should be for sheep only and that the field should be harrowed and rolled’

Tenders to be invited for improving the position of the urinal behind the pavilion and for guttering round the roof of the pavilion (No longer thatched if they are putting up guttering – SC)


MCC undertook its notorious 'bodyline' Tour to Australia (Harold Larwood)


1933 - Parish Meeting (29th March) - Proposed that entrance to the urinal be improved by fixing a screen. Proposed that outside of pavilion be re-painted, door repaired and both sets of entrance gates be painted white and repaired where necessary. Proposed that the painting inside the pavilion be carried up as far as the roof. Mr Goring to be asked to harrow and roll the ground like last year

Proposed that the cricket pitch be reserved for cricket and children not allowed to use it except under supervision


1934 - Parish Meeting (20th March) - Funds did not permit painting of pavilion and seats

It was questioned if children could be excluded from the cricket pitch

Got estimates for painting and repair of pavilion and seats

Mr Goring promised to harrow and roll the ground


1935 - Parish Meeting (29th March) - Chair: Rev Abdy

Present: D Kimber, WJ Higgs, A Turvey and Miss A Page-Roberts

The Clerk of the Rural District Council thought that the Parish Meeting could safeguard the cricket pitch by making any regulations that would prevent wilful damage.

It was decided to get tenders for raising the pavilion at least one foot off the ground and repairing the wood floor


1936 - Parish Meeting (4th March) - Estimates for raising the pavilion exceeded funds so the matter has been deferred. It was proposed by Higgs, Taylor that the pavilion be raised on a permanent concrete foundation with a concrete floor. Estimates to be sought

After a long discussion the following resolution was passed: That the pavilion be kept locked throughout the year except when in use by the Cricket club, but that if anyone wished to use it, that person could apply at Turgis Stores (where the garage now is- SC) for the key and he or she would be responsible for again locking up the pavilion and returning the key

Inadequate sanitation was referred to the Medical Officer of Health


1937 - Parish Meeting (19th March) - £6-0-0 was voted towards the salary of a groundsman for keeping the ground rolled and mown during the coming summer. Carried with one dissention

Read Sidney Pitman's account of local village cricket in this period 

1938 - Parish Meeting - Proposed 2 fixed forms be placed under the trees on the Recreation Ground and also that 2 refuse baskets be provided

£4-0-0 voted to Cricket Club towards mowing the grass and keeping the ground in order.

Administration of the Village Institute: Agreed that one rep from the Cricket Club, the WI and the MU should be elected to form a committee together with Messrs Higgs, Turvey and Kircher. The Rector is the chairman

First televised cricket match (England v Australia at Lords)

1939 - 1945 (inc Second World War)


1939 - Parish Meeting (24th March) - Rev JG Abdy re-elected as chairman

Present WG Higgs, Mr Arthur Turvey, Mr G Satterley

Repairs to guttering on pavilion, painting the front of the pavilion, to creosoting the swings and to have the ground well rolled before the cricket season.

The chairman was instructed to talk to the local policeman and see if he could put a stop to wilful damage being done by lads to property on the recreation ground.

ARP wardens appointed

The telephone exchange of Turgis Green was opened at the end of January 1939 and served 50 subscribers - previously the telephone service operated from the grocer's shop at Sherfield-on-Loddon


Timeless Test between South Africa and England came to an end after nearly eleven days.Dudley Nourse (later an STCC vice-president) notched 103 in SA's first innings.



Wicket widened to from 8 to 9 inches 'in order to even the contest'


1940  - Parish Meeting (29th March) - Rev Abdy re-elected.


Present Mr Higgs, Mr Turvey. No-one else present due to war conditions.

Decided that chairs and seats belonging to Cricket club should be put into the pavilion in September and brought out again in May.

Also determined that if application was made for part of the Recreation Ground to be turned into allotments the Chairman should write to the Ministry of Agriculture to find out if this was allowable

Lords hit by an oil bomb

1941 - Parish Meeting - £4-0-0 voted for upkeep of Recreation Ground. If repairs are needed to the Cricket club’s automotive mower they should be met out of funds in hand as cricket club not likely to function for the duration of the war


1942 - Parish Meeting (27th March) - Present: Rev Grundy, Mr Higgs, Mr Pitman, Mr Payne, Colonel and Mrs Williams, Mr Turvey, Mr Taylor, Mr Gamble and Lieutenant Buston on behalf of the gun site

Mr C Taylor voted as chairman

Proposed Higgs and Pitman that the men from the Wellington gun site should have every facility given to them to play on the Recreation Ground and use the pavilion, and that the cricket accessories be a joint obligation between the Cricket Club and the gun site

In Cairo, Dudley Nourse (later a vice-president of the club) hit sixes off nine successive deliveries and 11 off 12

1943 - The Oval converted to a POW camp and the pavilion used as a furniture store

1944 - Five Victory Tests played and county games attracted huge crowds


1946 - 1960


1946 - Parish Meeting - £4-0-0 was given to the cricket club for the ground. The state of the pavilion was discussed and it was decided to buy paint for the outside, the painting to be done by volunteers


1947 - Parish Meeting - Decided to do repairs to the pavilion especially the roof and also renew door and lock if possible


1948 - Parish Meeting - Mr Taylor took chair.  Decided to carry on with repairs to the pavilion

2 men are willing to re-nail the galvanised iron on the roof and do the painting not done the previous year for £8.0.0, paint to be supplied


Don Bradman  (a former vice-president of the Club) played his final Test v England at the Oval.  He was dismissed by Eric Hollies for a duck

The Old Pavilion pre-renovation (but a familiar scoreboard)

1950 -
Denis Compton became the only Test cricketer to win a cup final medal (v Liverpool)


1951 - Parish Meeting - £4-0-0 was given to the cricket club for mowing



Willie Watson became the first to play World Cup football and Test cricket for England


Len Hutton dismissed for obstruction of the field (England v South Africa at The Oval)




1952 - Parish Meeting - Pavilion needed repairing.  The Cricket Club stated that they hoped to build 2 dressing rooms on to the end of pavilion during the coming year.  The Meeting agreed to this


Len Hutton appointed England's first professional captain


India's first Test win (v England)

1955 - Parish Meeting - It was decided not to give four pounds to the Cricket Club as further pavilion repairs would be needed next year


 First Test cricketer to be executed was West Indies fast bowler Leslie Hylton (for the murder of his wife)


1956 - Parish Meeting - £4-0-0 to the Cricket Club for mowing

New Zealand gained their first Test win (v West Indies at Aukland)


Jim Laker took all ten Australian wickets for 53 runs at Old Trafford. (He took 9-37 in the first innings)


1957 - First edition of Test Match Special on third programme

Put faces to names mentioned in the Chronicle

1958 - Arthur Milton (Arsenal) became the last man to play football and cricket for England


1959 - F. C. M. Alexander was the last white man to captain West Indies

1960 - The first tied Test match (Australia v West Indies) took place at Brisbane


1961 - 1980

1961 - The Club embarked on a cricket and sightseeing tour of Holland and Gemany in August.
The tourists sailed from Dover on Wednesday and landed at The Hague. The first fixture was scheduled for Haarlem in Holland on Saturday,
with a game the following day against Leiden. Next the tourists travelled into Germany to play a two-day fixture against The Greenjackets on Saturday and
Sunday, August 5 and 6. The party returned home on August Bank Monday and arrived back in Sherfield on August 8.
No playing records are to hand

The touring party assembles for the 1961 visit to Holland and Germany

Hampshire won the County Cricket Championship

Australia v West Indies Test Match (Second day) had 90,800 spectators


1962 - England beat Pakistan 4 – 0 and Tom Graveney topped the County batting averages with 2269 runs at 54.03

Last Gentlemen v Players fixture played at Scarborough

1963 - Parish Meeting  Present: Mr A Turvey, Mr M Turvey, Mr R Syckelmoore and Mr G Gamble

Great regret in recording the death of Cyril Taylor who was for many years Chairman of the Parish Meeting and a trustee of the Recreation Ground. Also captain of the Cricket Club for a long period

Four pounds given to the Cricket Club for mowing and two pounds to Mr Turvey for cutting the hedge


Our 1963 Fixture Card included games v the First elevens of Basingstoke, Hurst, Bracknell and Newbury

Our 1963 fixture card lists some illustrious vice-presidents

Limited overs cricket introduced and West Indies won Test series 3 – 1.

Gentleman v Players abolished  (No longer distinction between amateurs and professionals)

Richie Benaud played his last Test match

1964 - Geoff Boycott raced to a maiden century (in 5 minutes short of 4 hours v Australia).

Freddie Trueman became the first bowler to take 300 wickets in Test cricket


1965 - Parish Meeting (April) Present: Mrs Gresham-Cooke, Mrs Taylor, Messrs A and M Turvey and G Gamble

Eight pounds for paint for pavilion. Work to be carried out by Mr Turvey and the Cricket Club. Mr Turvey to cut the hedge.

The Commons Registration Act came into force in 1965 - see entry under 1972

Last tour of England by South Africa before apartheid ban

The death of Peter - the Lords’ cat – was listed in Wisden

1966 - Parish Meeting Present: Mrs Gresham-Cooke, Mrs Taylor, Mr A Turvey, Mr G Gamble

Booklets given out were given out about registration of commons. There was a discussion if the Recreation Ground was a common. It was decided to register it if eligible


West Indies win Test series 3 –1

The first County Championship game to be played on a Sunday. No admission fee could be charged, but the crowd was charged for scorecards

Geoff Hurst (1966 World Cup winner) played his one and only game for Essex. (Scoring 0 no and a duck)


1967 - Parish Meeting Commons Registration Act: It was decided to go ahead and register the Recreation Ground


Spring Bank Holiday fixture was v RAOC Officers Club (away)

Wednesday August 2  We hosted visitors from Broadstairs in Kent - Bobbing CC

August Bank Holiday Monday - the club played CAD Bramley (away)

On September we played an interesting game v Haymakers from Herefordshire


Derek Underwood tops county averages with 136 wickets at 12.39

1968 - AGM (7th November) elected officers:

President: Mrs G Smyth

Chairman: J Gains

Secretary and Joint Treasurer: M Turvey

Joint Treasurer: M Dance

Match Secretary: M Geater

Club Captain: B Pangbourne

Vice-Captains: P Mison and D Lailey 

Ground Manager: A Turvey

Umpires: J Gains and M Geater

Committee: C Fuller, M Foster, J Perrott, M Perrott, D Sylvester, B Wills, J Davis, A Turvey

Vice Presidents: Re-elected en bloc plus G Daly and A Skinner


The AGM resolved to investigate the purchase of a mechanical roller and to investigate indoor

cricket facilities at Richard Aldworth School.

The Secretary was to be provided with a telephone – (felt to be a necessity).

Work parties were to be formed, for work especially on the sightscreens


Selection of Basil D’Oliveira led to cancellation of South African tour (Apartheid) 

Gary Sobers hit 6 consecutive sixes off the unfortunate Glamorgan spinner, Malcolm Nash

Yorkshire won its third successive Championship

1969 - AGM (6th November) elected officers:

President: Mrs G Smyth

Chairman: J Gains

Secretary and Joint Treasurer: M Turvey

Joint Treasurer: M Dance

Match Secretary: M Geater

Saturday Captain: Bob Smith

Vice-Captains: P Mison and D Lailey 

Sunday Captain: N Dance

Ground Managers: A Turvey and C Fuller

Umpires: J Gains and D Geater

Committee: C Fuller, A Turvey, S Raynor, D Sylvester, J Davis 

Vice Presidents: Re-elected en bloc, plus I Cowper-Smith with the exception of C R Eglington


A reasonably healthy balance sheet was reported, although the mechanical roller ‘made a big hole in the accounts’. ? Who was driving at the time?

Next committee meeting was scheduled for 5th January 1970 at The Fox, Rotherwick


Inaugural John Player Sunday League competition

1970 - AGM (19th November) elected officers:

President: Mrs G Smythe

Chairman: J Gains

Joint Secretaries: M Turvey and R Walters

Joint Treasurers: M Turvey and R Walters

Match Secretary: M Geater

Club Captain: N Dance

Vice-Captains: P Mison and J Davis 

Ground Managers: Shared club members

Umpires: J Gains, G Daly and D Geater

Committee: C Fuller, D Syckelmore, D Lailey, D Sylvester, R Smith

Vice Presidents: Re-elected en bloc


Agreed to purchase wire for the square surround and to arrange a ‘painting work party’ in the Spring.

The mowers were identified as needing overhauling. Subscriptions were stated to be 'ridiculously low'


South Africa cancelled tour of England -  and commenced a 22-year ban from international sport

Pakistan v England in Karachi abandoned due to rioting

1971 - AGM (20th January 1972) elected officers:

President: Mrs G Smythe

Chairman: J Gains

Secretary: M Turvey

Treasurer: J Davis

Match Secretary: M Geater

Club Captain: N Dance

Vice-Captains: P Mison and J Davis 

Ground Manager: C Fuller

Committee: C Fuller, R Smith, D Syckelmore, Mrs P Fuller, Mrs K Davis, Mrs B Reoke

Umpire: J Gains

Vice Presidents: Re-elected en bloc.


Treasurer reported a ‘fairly sound position’. Agreed that annual subscriptions should be raised from 50p to £1.

Mrs Gresham-Cooke attending the meeting as a representative for Parish Meeting, was asked re: the possibility of a new pavilion on the ground. She commented on the lack of playing members from the village.

Teas were again to be at The Cricketers.


First one-day international at Melbourne - Australia v England

1972 - AGM (14th November) elected officers:

President: Mrs G Smythe

Chairman: J Gains

Secretary: J Berry

Treasurer: J Davis

Match Secretary: G Dyer

Club Captain: G Dyer

Umpire: J Gains

Ground Manager: C Fuller

Committee: C Fuller, R Smith, Mrs P Fuller, Mrs K Davis, Mrs C Turvey

Vice Presidents: Re-elected en bloc, plus Mr Moate and R Price


Mrs Gresham-Cooke attended the meeting as a representative for Parish Meeting and requested that dumped soil be removed from around trees

A ‘Christmas Fayre’ held at Sherfield Village Hall raised £82

Match fee set at 25p and annual subscription at £1

A special meeting was then held to discuss groundshare with Tylehurst St George CC (J Gains in the chair). Unanimously decided to approve groundshare President of TSGCC agreed to consult his members on: Upkeep of the ground/maintenance costs/general ground expenditure.  A written agreement would entail 2 years’ notice from either side to terminate the agreement

Four members of each side to attend further discussions: From STHWCC these would be:

C Fuller, J Berry, G Dyer, J Davis, Chairman to be R Tidsbury

A Christmas Fayre was booked for Sherfield Village Hall (Saturday 17th December)

Turgis Green Recreation Ground/Registration 

Benson and Hedges Cup introduced.

1973 - AGM (18th October) held at The Cricketers elected officers:

President: Mrs G Smythe

Chairman: J Gains

Secretary: J Berry

Treasurer: J Davies

Asst Treasurer: C Fuller

Match & Fixture Secretary: G Dyer

Club Captain: G Dyer

Vice-Captain: P Harriss

Ground Manager: C Fuller

Umpire: J Gains

Committee: J Deal, R Price, R Gill, R Tinson, M Fuller, Mrs K Davis

Vice Presidents: Re-elected with exception of C Bartlett, M Hedger, R Radmore,and A Manser

Newly elected were: Jim Weaver and Ted Burnett (TSGCC), M Fletcher and Lord Richard Wellesley


Tylehurst St George CC groundshare was renewed until 1975

A new mower was purchased costing £77

A dance held in March at Rotherwick Village Hall had made a net profit of £80 and the Derby draw yielded £58

Match fee raised to 40p. Annual subscription held at £1.


In the Hampshire League (North Regional Division) the club finished halfway, playing

24/winning 10/drawing 4/losing 8/abandoned 2.

Captain Geoff  Dyer topped the batting with 709 runs at 35.45 - including a century (108no). Mickey Sumpter had 503 runs at an average of 27.94. These two shared an opening partnership of 125 v Dogmersfield

Derek Hopkins heading the bowling averages taking 26 wickets at 10.76, while Jim Berry had the top haul of 41 wickets (200+ overs bowled)


Tony Lewis leads England winter tour of Pakistan

Umpire Dickie Bird's first Test match

1974 - AGM (18th October) held at The Pavilion elected officers:

President: R C Smith

Chairman: J Pollock

Secretary: J Berry

Honorary Team Secretary: R Strudley

Treasurer: J Davis

Asst Treasurer: C Fuller

Match & Fixture Secretary: G Dyer

Club Captain: G Dyer

Vice-Captain: J Davis

Ground Manager: C Fuller

Umpire: Jim Stacey

Committee: C Fuller, J Deal R Price, R Gill, R Tinson, Mrs P Fuller, Mrs K Davis

Vice Presidents: All re-elected with the exception of R Tidsbury who had left the area


The club’s President (Mrs Smythe) had died during the year

Meeting agreed to purchase a tankard to commemorate the services of Joe Gains and to elect him as a life vice-president

Reported that electricity had been installed into the pavilion and that a ‘spiker’ and other items of ground equipment had been acquired

Club reached the semi-final of the all-Hampshire cricket quiz.

A dance was held on 15th March.

Indoor practice in conjunction with TSGCC had been arranged in Reading.


In North Hampshire League (Division 1) our side finished sixth of 16 teams,

winning 8/losing 5/drawing 2. J Davis, Mike Sumpter and Geoff Dyer topped the club’s batting with averages of 28.00, 27.50 and 22.81 respectively. Geoff headed up the bowling table (21 wickets at 8.43), supported by Roger Tinson (30 wickets at 9.10)


Parish Meeting Cricket Club asked for outfield to be cut and rabbits controlled


India and Pakistan toured England.

Gary Sobers made his last Test appearance in Port of Spain v England

1975 - AGM (10th October) held at The Pavilion elected officers:

President: R C Smith

Chairman: G H Nicholls

Secretary: J Berry

Team Secretary: R Strudley

Treasurer: M Jenvey

Asst Treasurer: C Fuller

Match & Fixture Secretary: S Dyer

Club Captain: G Dyer

Vice-Captain: S Critchell

Ground Manager: C Fuller

Umpire: Left vacant

Committee: M Fuller, R Price, R Gill, R Tinson, A Tinson

Vice Presidents: Existing plus P Hamman.


Jim Pollock had been posted overseas and was succeeded as chairman by G Nicholls

J Davis had emigrated and had been succeeded as Treasurer by P Hamman.

A vice-president Mr Walters had died during the year

Match fees reduced to 20p.

Improvement grants and extensive fund raising allowed planning for improvements to the pavilionThe groundshare agreement with Tylehurst St George CC was extended for 1976.


T. Prickett topped both batting (467 runs at 33.21) and bowling (41 wickets at 10.26) averages in a season which saw the club finish 9th of 18 teams in North Hampshire League Div 1.


Parish Meeting Technical Services of Basingstoke District Council to be asked to continue to cut grass in outfield. Mr Syckelmoore would cut the hedge again – to be paid 2 pounds.

Leisure and Recreation at Basingstoke DC to be asked about improving the pavilion and changing rooms


Headingley test wicket dug up by ‘Free George Davis’ protestors

First cricket world cup sponsored by Prudential held in England and won by West Indies.


Colin Cowdrey's last Test appearance v Australia in Melbourne

Jack Balderstone played for Leicestershire v Derbyshire and for Doncaster Rovers  v Brentford on the same day

1976 - AGM (22nd October) held at The Pavilion elected officers:

President: R. C. Smith

Chairman: R Strudley

Secretary: J Berry

Team Secretary: R Strudley

Treasurer: M Jenvey

Assistant Treasurer: C Fuller

Match & Fixture Secretary: S Dyer

Club Captain: G Dyer

Vice-Captain: D Syckelmore

Ground Manager: C Fuller


Committee: Mrs P Fuller, S Critchell, R Price, R Gill, A Tinson

Vice Presidents: Existing re-elected en bloc plus Alan Kirk, Seccombe, Seccombe


G H Nicholls had resigned as Chairman during the year


Bob Skinner (vice president) had died – he was one of our longest serving and most active members.

Completion of the pavilion improvement scheme was announced.

Annual subscription set at £2 and match fees at 20p.

Committee was instructed to investigate purchase of an implement shed

The Club joined the National Cricket Association, and applied to join both the Berkshire League and the Three Counties League (Keeping options open)

Club ties were manufactured and sold at £1.50.


Finishing 12th in the League - relegation was avoided and Geoff Dyer was of the opinion that a Second X1 would improve playing strength. Geoff hit 683 runs at an average of 37.94.

B Nicholson headed the bowling with 21 wickets at 10.80. Terry Pearson bowled over 221 overs returning 41 wickets at 13.50.

In the Berkshire Indoor League the club finished joint second.


Parish Meeting Chairman Mr R Price reported on the re-building of the cricket pavilion. Mr Anderson offered to advertise in the broadsheet for more local cricketers.


Andy Roberts and Michael Holding bombarded England’s test batsmen.

Denis Amiss was the first player to wear a protective helmet in a Test (v West Indies)

1977 - An extraordinary General Meeting was held at the Pavilion on 19th April 1977. The meeting discussed at length whether the club should enter the Berkshire Cricket League or remain in the Hampshire League. Agreed without dissent to enter the Berkshire League


AGM (14th October) held in Pavilion, elected officers:

President: R C Smith (Mrs G Smythe had died during the year)

Chairman: J Cull

Secretary: J Berry

Fixture Secretary: S Dyer

Treasurer: M Jenvey

Asst Treasurer: C Fuller

Team Secretary: M Jenvey

Club Captain: G Dyer

Vice-Captain: D Syckelmore

2nd X1 Captain: T Pearson

Vice-Captain: M Jenvey

Ground Manager: C Fuller

Umpire: Left vacant

Committee: R Price, R Gill, A Longden, Mrs P Fuller, A Tinson, S Critchell

Vice Presidents: Re-elected en bloc


A sad event had been the death of our former chairman Joe Gains

The question of amalgamation with Tylehurst St George CC produced a ‘lively’ debate

Alternatives such as dual or associate membership were proposed. Continued investigation was thought best way forward

The committee was instructed to look into the provision of practice nets/concrete strip


On the playing side Albert Potter topped batting figures with 255 runs at 31.87, supported by new member, Dennis Beardsworth (281 league runs at 23.41). Terry Pearson bowled an impressive 250 overs over the season, showing 50 wickets at 10.71

Umpires Cyril Fuller and George Bancroft were thanked for their services

The committee decided to run a 2nd X1 in 1978, competing in the Hampshire League 


Parish Meeting Due to low funds it was decided not to give the customary 4 pounds to the Cricket Club


Cricket changed forever, with Kerry Packer winning court approval to launch World Series cricket

England's last tour match as MCC


Click here to continue to next page of Chronicle